Castle's Old Haunt
Welcome to Castle's Old Haunt!
Castle's Old Haunt
Welcome to Castle's Old Haunt!
Castle's Old Haunt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Castle's Old Haunt

A fan forum for all things about the TV show Castle!

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jim Halteman interview with Andrew Marlowe

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dstorm
Uniform Cop
Uniform Cop
dstorm

Jim Halteman interview with Andrew Marlowe Empty
PostSubject: Jim Halteman interview with Andrew Marlowe   Jim Halteman interview with Andrew Marlowe Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 6:54 pm

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/interviews/2011/10/31/interview-castle-creator-andrew-w-marlowe-891004/20111031_castle/

About point of view in story telling:

Quote :
JH: We saw Beckett in therapy recently trying to confront some of her issues. Will we see more of that in the future?

AWM: She's going to keep acknowledging those issues as we move forward. One of the things about the show is that for the most part since the beginning we've accessed all the storytelling through Castle's point of view. Beckett has been a mystery to him and he's peeled back her layers as time has gone by but I felt very strongly at the beginning of the season that it was time to start opening her up if not to Castle then a little bit to the audience. I think when she plays coy with him and she has a bit of the Mona Lisa smile or puts up her walls, there's a lot that the audience can read into it. In order to guide the audience in terms of what she's thinking about and what she's struggling with, I felt that having that access into her was going to be very important for them to understand what we were doing with the storytelling this year and why she's not fully committing to him and why she's dealing with these impediments that are getting in the way of having the relationship she wants to

about Serena Kaye and the affect it had on Beckett:

Quote :
I'm a big fan of strong, smart, opinionated, sexy women and to have Castle be with somebody... because we've had him be with women who he can kind of charm and are kinda twinkies and one of the things that attracts him to Beckett is her intelligent and strength. To be able to bring somebody in who is intelligent and strong in a different way was a lot of fun and was going to threaten Beckett in a way the other women no longer threaten her. She knows he'll be momentarily infatuated like a dog seeing a squirrel but there's no lasting value. But when you come in with someone who is smart and has an element of sophistication and can play with the boys and go toe-to-toe with Castle, that's when she starts to feel threatened.

On the new captain, and why we may perceived her as a hard ass:

Quote :
Since Castle and Beckett are the ones that we're going through the story with and Castle is trying to prove his worth again in the precinct, we as storytellers have chosen to take a slightly more narrow focus of that just so we can see it through the Beckett/Castle point of view.
Back to top Go down
TinkonBrink
TinkonBrink

Jim Halteman interview with Andrew Marlowe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Halteman interview with Andrew Marlowe   Jim Halteman interview with Andrew Marlowe Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 12:35 pm

I love this interview with Andrew Marlowe.

Quote :
JH: We saw Beckett in therapy recently trying to confront some of her issues. Will we see more of that in the future?

AWM: She's going to keep acknowledging those issues as we move forward. One of the things about the show is that for the most part since the beginning we've accessed all the storytelling through Castle's point of view. Beckett has been a mystery to him and he's peeled back her layers as time has gone by but I felt very strongly at the beginning of the season that it was time to start opening her up if not to Castle then a little bit to the audience. I think when she plays coy with him and she has a bit of the Mona Lisa smile or puts up her walls, there's a lot that the audience can read into it. In order to guide the audience in terms of what she's thinking about and what she's struggling with, I felt that having that access into her was going to be very important for them to understand what we were doing with the storytelling this year and why she's not fully committing to him and why she's dealing with these impediments that are getting in the way of having the relationship she wants to. We'll see that a couple more times this season. We have an episode coming up soon where there's a sniper loose in the city on a spree kill and in that she's going to have to confront some post-traumatic stress issues so we'll be using it for that as well.

Look at that! That's someone who has sat down and thought "what do I want to achieve this season...and how am I going to achieve it?" You'd think that would be pretty obvious wouldn't you? How to utilise existing characters or bring in a new character with the purpose of revealing more about one of the central characters?

Yeah.

But like I (and I'm sure there are a few other members on this board...*wink*) have suffered though TV show seasons that seem to have been cobbled together with whatever they had laying around in the fridge...This planned approach and setting all your dominos at the start of the season (ready to fall in transfixing spirals and loops later on) is a bit of a revelation! shock
Back to top Go down

Jim Halteman interview with Andrew Marlowe
Page 1 of 1