Castle's Old Haunt
Welcome to Castle's Old Haunt!
Castle's Old Haunt
Welcome to Castle's Old Haunt!
Castle's Old Haunt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Castle's Old Haunt

A fan forum for all things about the TV show Castle!

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Fans, Stalkers, Excellence and Beauty - one word doesn't belong." A Response to Pinlett's article on Stana Katic and "Over-Idolization"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Beckstle
Admin
Beckstle

"Fans, Stalkers, Excellence and Beauty - one word doesn't belong." A Response to Pinlett's article on Stana Katic and "Over-Idolization" Empty
PostSubject: "Fans, Stalkers, Excellence and Beauty - one word doesn't belong." A Response to Pinlett's article on Stana Katic and "Over-Idolization"   "Fans, Stalkers, Excellence and Beauty - one word doesn't belong." A Response to Pinlett's article on Stana Katic and "Over-Idolization" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 11:42 pm

After reading your article on Stana and her fans, I'd say you don't really know much about Stana Katic. I'm also not sure if I should find your being upset over people that actually DO things in the world amusing or worrisome. If you want to talk about "Over-Idolizing" there are plenty of Kardashians, Paris Hilton's and Snookie's to be concerned about - people who garner attention for literally doing nothing. In general people are attracted to and admire excellence in all it's forms because it reminds us of what levels of human achievement are possible and can be a beacon that encourages us to do our best.

Being a fan is not the same as being a stalker. Stalkers of celebrities are an entirely different thing. If someone is yelling at security guards for not letting them in to see a star, is sending them fan-mail every week, insisting that they're going to marry the person, demanding intimate details about the star's life and becoming angry if the star doesn't give them the desired attention at any given moment, then yes, that "fan" has a problem. However, having admiration for a person who actually contributes to the good of the world on a public platform is not what ails this culture.

The line in your article that really bugged me was that somehow Stana Katic is not worthy of attention because she hasn't gotten an Emmy. First of all, I've never needed a performer to win an award to tell me if they are good or not. The fact is there are a lot of very talented television actors who've never got nominated,either. Katy Seagal, Courtney Cox, John Noble, Desi Arnaz - here's a link that will give you some more http://www.hollywood.com/photos/misc/34387850/facepalm-15-fantastic-folks-who-never-received-emmy-nods#98334 . The same thing goes for the Oscars: Mia Farrow, Marylin Monroe, Jennifer Jason Leigh, John Barrowmore, and a whole lot of other talented film actors: http://www.filmsite.org/noawards3.html#5 . It's ludicrous to think that winning an Emmy or Oscar is how to tell if an actor is talented. It tells you what a small group of people think of the shows and films that they've been exposed to, or what they've been told, usually by friends in that small group of people, is brilliant work. Awards are as much about entertainment politics as it is talent.

Fans of Stana Katic love her acting, and yes she's beautiful, but there are many beautiful and talented actresses that don't provoke the interest that she does. "Stanatics" admire her interests and passions. She's a risk-taker who explores the world and the arts and shares about it a way that inspires others to expand their own world comfort-zones and to do more within their own lives. How is this a bad thing?

She also exhibits a genuineness with fans, and concern about the world we live in. For Castle fans in particular, she's always been a "true shipper" rooting for her character to get together with Castle as much as the fans do. While other cast members weren't quite as enthusiastic, Stana's opinion has always been there right along with the fans. She loves the show's story as much as the fans do, and fans love that she does.

As I read your article, what occurred to me is that very often a woman's beauty can be held against her. God forbid a woman be beautiful and NICE, and, smart, AND talented. There's a certain level of anger that can be directed at a beautiful woman, a need to make her shallow, or cunning, or manipulative, even though there's nothing to actually substantiate it. You seem to be suggesting that a good tennis player, or actress, shouldn't be attractive - or at least not take pretty pictures - because some guy is going to say that's all she cares about.

Plato and Aristotle had ideas about there being underlying forms that always exist - beauty being one of them. We talk about an "inner beauty" that shines forth regardless of the aesthetics of the day. That inner beauty can in fact exist with an "outer beauty." The two are not mutually exclusive. Stana Katic has both - try not to hold it against her, or the fans who appreciate her sharing a part of who she through this business called "entertainment."
Back to top Go down
https://castlesoldhaunt.forumotion.com
KJZims

KJZims

"Fans, Stalkers, Excellence and Beauty - one word doesn't belong." A Response to Pinlett's article on Stana Katic and "Over-Idolization" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Fans, Stalkers, Excellence and Beauty - one word doesn't belong." A Response to Pinlett's article on Stana Katic and "Over-Idolization"   "Fans, Stalkers, Excellence and Beauty - one word doesn't belong." A Response to Pinlett's article on Stana Katic and "Over-Idolization" Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 9:39 am

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one perturbed by his post. I loved what you wrote, my feelings towards Stana, and for that matter most celebrities and faux-celebrities, are similar to yours.

What truly upset me was him comparing her, and the show’s, fans to what happened at Penn State. Those situations aren’t even in the same category. I tried to leave him a reply but it wouldn’t allow me to anonymously, he disabled anonymous posting, and I’m not going to sign up to a website to leave one comment.
Back to top Go down
Beckstle
Admin
Beckstle

PostSubject: Re: "Fans, Stalkers, Excellence and Beauty - one word doesn't belong." A Response to Pinlett's article on Stana Katic and "Over-Idolization"   "Fans, Stalkers, Excellence and Beauty - one word doesn't belong." A Response to Pinlett's article on Stana Katic and "Over-Idolization" Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 4:13 pm

KJZims wrote:
I’m glad I wasn’t the only one perturbed by his post. I loved what you wrote, my feelings towards Stana, and for that matter most celebrities and faux-celebrities, are similar to yours.

What truly upset me was him comparing her, and the show’s, fans to what happened at Penn State. Those situations aren’t even in the same category. I tried to leave him a reply but it wouldn’t allow me to anonymously, he disabled anonymous posting, and I’m not going to sign up to a website to leave one comment.
Yeah, I figured why add to that site. I'm sure there was some good intention
there, but, also some anger at women was going on as well. There was no real talk of male stars and their fans at all.u The sensationalism didn't help his point at all. Fans who cross into stalker behavior is an issue, but that's not the majority of fans. Fans of stars who actually do things have been around a long time. The thing that worries me is the gossip driven culture of celebrity where people who literally have no claim to fame are famous. The levels of attention and admiration - there's your over-idolatrization.
Back to top Go down
https://castlesoldhaunt.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Fans, Stalkers, Excellence and Beauty - one word doesn't belong." A Response to Pinlett's article on Stana Katic and "Over-Idolization"   "Fans, Stalkers, Excellence and Beauty - one word doesn't belong." A Response to Pinlett's article on Stana Katic and "Over-Idolization" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Fans, Stalkers, Excellence and Beauty - one word doesn't belong." A Response to Pinlett's article on Stana Katic and "Over-Idolization"
Page 1 of 1