Castle's Old Haunt
Welcome to Castle's Old Haunt!
Castle's Old Haunt
Welcome to Castle's Old Haunt!
Castle's Old Haunt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Castle's Old Haunt

A fan forum for all things about the TV show Castle!

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fairytales
Little Castle
fairytales

4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Empty
PostSubject: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 12:06 am

So what were we suppose to not expect? It pretty much went down how I thought it would go down... no surprises here.

Do you think Castle knows what Becket means about after the walls come down? I'm kinda thinking he knows. And Beckett definitely doesn't know that he knows or at least has an idea.

Anyway it was a good episode. Definitely doesn't top the finale but I don't know what would top that. I never in a million years dreamed a TV show in this day would have a character whisper "I love you" in the season 3 finale or at all for that matter... so where I sit good luck catching me off guard again Castle writers/topping that moment of surprise! lol Very Happy

Last edited by Beckstle on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Title fix)
Back to top Go down
dstorm
Uniform Cop
Uniform Cop
dstorm

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 12:31 am

The important thing is that she knows that he loves her.... He is her rock. He got her to relax in the end scene when the gun was pointing at her and because of him she went back to the therapist. Where she admitted the truth that she remembers everything.

Also, Richard Castle's final scene with Alexis tells me why he is at the top of the list in lead male characters. She makes him happy and that is enough for now..

What else could we want from a season premiere.... I would have love to hear Kate say I love you too Rick, but we now know she does.

Back to top Go down
fairytales
Little Castle
fairytales

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 12:35 am

I've known since seeing the season 2 finale that she loves him so if that was suppose to be unexpected... lol OK I need to stop reading spoilers cause literally I was sitting there going.... where is the surprise??????

There were some seriously touching moments in here and Castle has me in a little puddle at his feet. I also very much wanted to hug him several times. Yah no kidding he is an awesome male lead... I love where they are taking his character.

I looooved seeing Beckett turn into what she feared of reverting back to over her mother's case and seeing Castle pull her out of it. Amazing.
Back to top Go down
dstorm
Uniform Cop
Uniform Cop
dstorm

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 12:44 am

You are so right about the spoilers, and Stana's interview release today also makes it clear that Beckett has been in love with Castle since the end of season 2. I think what held her back in season 3 is that she did not know where she stood with him If you recall she asked him twice why keeps coming back, and Castle never told her the truth. I think she was hoping for him to admit that he comes back for her because he loves her. With the shooting confession, she now knows Castle loves her. This is why ended things with Josh and why she realized that she needs to put her mother's murder behind her to be happy. What she needs from Castle is what he has told her he will do for her... To be there always, and Castle promising that they will eventually put the case to rest together confirms for her that he is ready to dive in with her.
Back to top Go down
Beckstle
Admin
Beckstle

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 1:24 am

fairytales wrote:
So what were we suppose to not expect? It pretty much went down how I thought it would go down... no surprises here.

Do you think Castle knows what Becket means about after the walls come down? I'm kinda thinking he knows. And Beckett definitely doesn't know that he knows or at least has an idea.

Anyway it was a good episode. Definitely doesn't top the finale but I don't know what would top that. I never in a million years dreamed a TV show in this day would have a character whisper "I love you" in the season 3 finale or at all for that matter... so where I sit good luck catching me off guard again Castle writers/topping that moment of surprise! lol Very Happy

Now, see, I got a slightly different vibe. I felt they BOTH knew what Beckett meant by "when the walls come down. Like, I felt that Beckett knows that when she said "the kind of relationship she'd like to have" Castle got that she meant trying a relationship with him. Because while she liked Josh - Josh wasn't enough, and could never be enough.
So, in terms of them both knowing they'd like to be involved with each other - I felt that was totally out there. However, Beckett knows Castle is in love with her - and Castle DOES NOT know that she's aware of his level of feelings. If she acknowledges that to Castle she'd have to consciously deal with a depth she's not ready for. And Castle is lying to her in order to keep her safe, which ALSO means he's gonna have to put on some brakes because if her walls come down while he's got that secret going on - and she finds out - he will lose her.

OH, it's gonna be an EPIC SEASON! happy
Back to top Go down
https://castlesoldhaunt.forumotion.com
fairytales
Little Castle
fairytales

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 1:45 am

Yes, both know what Beckett meant by the walls coming down but as usual neither know just how much the other knows??? Wow this is starting to make my head hurt! lol Very Happy Anyway, can't wait for the rest of the season.

So question. In the finale, Montgomery said that the mayor didn't run his precinct and that he could have kicked Castle to the curb at any time. So why does Iron Gates cave into the mirror? Just curious. I'm not complaining. It was a funny scene and of course I want Castle around.... soooo... just curious if they're trying to pull a continuity error here. I guess Montgomery could have been fibbing just to see what Beckett would reveal which I could totally see as the reason. That moment was epic too.
Back to top Go down
dstorm
Uniform Cop
Uniform Cop
dstorm

PostSubject: 4.01 - "Rise" discussion   4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 3:16 am

fairytales wrote:
Yes, both know what Beckett meant by the walls coming down but as usual neither know just how much the other knows??? Wow this is starting to make my head hurt! lol Very Happy Anyway, can't wait for the rest of the season.

So question. In the finale, Montgomery said that the mayor didn't run his precinct and that he could have kicked Castle to the curb at any time. So why does Iron Gates cave into the mirror? Just curious. I'm not complaining. It was a funny scene and of course I want Castle around.... soooo... just curious if they're trying to pull a continuity error here. I guess Montgomery could have been fibbing just to see what Beckett would reveal which I could totally see as the reason. That moment was epic too.

It is not. In the interviews leading up to the introduction of the new captain, AM said this new captain was very ambitious and is politically motivated. She doesn't just want to be a captain at a local precinct. She wants more unlike Montgomery. Gates, therefore, understands that to rise to the top she needs the backing of influential people, the mayor for one. Thus she wont do anything to piss off the people that could help her get ahead. This is why she takes Castle back.
Back to top Go down
TinkonBrink
TinkonBrink

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 5:38 am

Beckett wants a deeper relationship (subtitled: With Castle) but she can't go deeper until she dismantles the wall that's been built inside her.

In order to dismantle the wall she need to dig into her mother's case.

If she keeps digging into the case she's going to end up: 1) In great danger...or...2) Dead.

Castle wants there to be no wall. Castle does not like the idea of options 1 or 2.

So...we can't go deeper until we take down a wall & to do that we must dig. Digging is dangerous.

Yeesh! This TV Drama stuff is worse than complex civic construction! Razz

I'll be back later to give you a better (& more serious!!!!) post on my thoughts for RISE.
I just need to go and watch it again! happy
Back to top Go down
fairytales
Little Castle
fairytales

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 9:31 am

dstorm wrote:

It is not. In the interviews leading up to the introduction of the new captain, AM said this new captain was very ambitious and is politically motivated.

Right. I forgot about that political motivation. If it isn't Caskett related I'm like.. yeah whatever I'll get back to it later. lol
Back to top Go down
dstorm
Uniform Cop
Uniform Cop
dstorm

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 6:26 pm

4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Mrsmit11

Did anyone notice that Mr. Smith was at the hospital in the scene where Castle is just about to go to see Beckett. Mr. Smith is the person who received Montgomery's files, so what was he doing in the hospital????
Back to top Go down
Beckstle
Admin
Beckstle

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm adding Marlowe's discussion with EW about Rise here. It's also in "Just the Facts" under His thread. Wink

It's so refreshing to read the thoughts of a writer whose ideas are about building and showing the chraracters' journey - instead of having to hear an explaination of why the writer is using the gimmick of the week Rolling Eyes

Read what Marlowe was going for in Rise HERE!
Back to top Go down
TinkonBrink
TinkonBrink

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 7:53 pm

dstorm wrote:

Did anyone notice that Mr. Smith was at the hospital in the scene where Castle is just about to go to see Beckett. Mr. Smith is the person who received Montgomery's files, so what was he doing in the hospital????

Good catch! Happy

Also, we know that Rod Halstead IS involved somewhere within the threads of the web...because "Mr Smith" has this picture:
4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Fire_d10

With Halstead clearly visible in the bottom right.

(I'd love to tell you that I spotted this one...but it was my Mum! She loves all the Borne movies so she's well up for all the conspiracy, good cops gone bad, squeaky clean politicians with skeletons in the closet and trails of dirty money behind them...I think I was too busy trying to breathe and worrying about Castle & Beckett to take in anything substantial. That's my excuse. I'm sticking to it. Razz )

So...the money was in a bank that closed. The money was transferred and there was documentation of it's path. Until the fire destroyed all the records. It's got to be some high up politician, senator, governor? In Knockout (I'm paraphrasing here) Montgomery said that HE took the money to make him what he is... Meaning that the money was used to support a political campaign? To grease the wheels to the top of the ladder?
Back to top Go down
Beckstle
Admin
Beckstle

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:14 pm

TinkonBrink wrote:
dstorm wrote:

Good catch! Happy

Also, we know that Rod Halstead IS involved somewhere within the threads of the web...because "Mr Smith" has this picture:
4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Fire_d10

With Halstead clearly visible in the bottom right.

(I'd love to tell you that I spotted this one...but it was my Mum! She loves all the Borne movies so she's well up for all the conspiracy, good cops gone bad, squeaky clean politicians with skeletons in the closet and trails of dirty money behind them...I think I was too busy trying to breathe and worrying about Castle & Beckett to take in anything substantial. That's my excuse. I'm sticking to it. Razz )

So...the money was in a bank that closed. The money was transferred and there was documentation of it's path. Until the fire destroyed all the records. It's got to be some high up politician, senator, governor? In Knockout (I'm paraphrasing here) Montgomery said that HE took the money to make him what he is... Meaning that the money was used to support a political campaign? To grease the wheels to the top of the ladder?

Kudos to you both!!! happy
Go get'm!!! beckett
Back to top Go down
fairytales
Little Castle
fairytales

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:28 pm

Wow I did not know Mr. Smith would be a doctor... I wonder why a doctor would have the files? :/ And it doesn't make sense that this guy was just filing because they need bodies in the hallway... do we know he's a doctor? Maybe he's a spy O_O jk

I didn't notice anyway I was too busy awing over how cute and nervous Castle was ... like he was showing up for a first date. Sigh.
Back to top Go down
TinkonBrink
TinkonBrink

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Mr Smith is not a Doctor.

It seems to me he was only there to check out Beckett...or Castle...or Both! It seems he likes to do a bit of hands on observation as well as gathering information through paperwork... Wink
Back to top Go down
fairytales
Little Castle
fairytales

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Private Detective? Not sure lawyer fits at all. FBI? CIA? Bounty hunter? Wink
Back to top Go down
Beckstle
Admin
Beckstle

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Some fun behind-the-scenes photos from RISE, (since, you know, the episode needed to have more humor. Rolling Eyes)
http://www.tvrockstars.com/castle-episode-4-01-rise-fun-bts-photos-from-the-set-with-stana-katic_
Back to top Go down
TinkonBrink
TinkonBrink

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 12:43 am

Okay...
(I should be in bed...but instead I'm typing this! Forgive any mistakes or insane ramblings! Razz )

I’m a little late to the party here…but I just wanted to sit down and really look at RISE (on its own and in conjunction with its predecessor/companion KNOCKOUT.) I've just watched both of them back to back (purely for research purposes- Ah, who the heck am I kidding?)

I’m going to go a little off piste here…I’m not going to talk about all the plot intricacies first. Shock horror!?

I’m going to look at the use of colour in Castle (both in wardrobe and lighting)

Yes, I know it’s a bit random. What can I tell you? I HAVE to talk about the colours used! Rob Bowman directed both RISE and KNOCKOUT. I swear every time I see one of his “mythology” episodes…I could be watching The X Files (Fight The Future) Movie! The use of whites and blues and greens? I’m getting ahead of myself; let me break it down…

The Kaleidoscope of Castle Colours

Go back and watch KNOCKOUT again (such a trial, I know!) Colour is fantastically important.

AMBER & WHITE “SUNLIGHT” & LIGHTING

The 12th Precinct is often lit to represent sunlight filtering/flooding through the windows. It can also be night at the precinct where desk or overhead lighting comes into play. The light varies from softer tones through to almost white. Watch out for this, it can signify tone of scene. The gentle barley light of morning as Castle comes into the 12th with his graphic novel tucked under his arm? More direct white light used as characters run down facts at the murder board. Also, the intense luminous (almost blindingly bright) white light at Montgomery’s funeral.
The scene at the court room (Lockwood’s non existent trial) at first glace looks like a lovely golden hue…but it’s really an unsettling yellow colour that descends into green tones after the flash bang goes off. The mention of green leads us to…

GREEN

Green is used to convey unease. Green is negativity
Muddy sage tones: Lockwood giving Montgomery the ultimatum (while he seemed to debate also doing great harm to a stuffed bear)
Vivid limes: Ryan & Esposito fight outside the cop bar. The steam/vapour rising from the New York street in the background? It’s green.
Bright green: Montgomery’s funeral is flooded with harsh over bright green grass.
Green is also used on Lockwood’s approach to McCallister’s cell and as he loiters in his doorway.

Also watch out for:

BLUE & WHITE (GLACIAL BLUE)

The hanger scene (aka Montgomery’s last stand) starts off with blue/white light that seems to gather hints of green as Montgomery tells his story.

SHADOW & SILHOUETTE

Watch out for the shadows, the blacks that creep into scenes. Half illumination. As Beckett is down on the grass and Castle leans over her, both their faces are partial shadow/partial light. The darkness and light vary with tone.

THE WARDORBE GETTING DARKER & MIRRORING

The colour palette for KNOCKOUT’S wardrobe seems to slip towards the darker colours as the episode progresses. Everyone at the end attends Montgomery’s funeral in black. Before these hints, we have dark denim and navy. Castle brings some neutral colours in (being as he is in the precinct but not a cop) And Beckett and Castle mirror one another during THAT ARGUMENT both wearing grey tones. Their words may be at odds but their colours are the same (unity despite conflict.)

How this plays out in RISE

The entire hospital scene at the start has subdued colour. It’s like a muggy grey. The light is gone from the world as Beckett’s life hangs by a thread. Watch as light creeps back in to illuminate Jim Beckett’s face when the doctor gives him the news that she made it through surgery. When Castle comes to visit, the hospital is lit normally, grey is replaced by ambient light. The shadows are back in the 12th as Castle, Ryan & Esposito discuss the sniper (without the presence of Montgomery or Beckett)

GREEN

When Beckett first races through the warehouse, confronting the barrel of another gun, the scene is permeated by the colour green. Beckett herself is illuminated in green light as she holds her gun frozen in place; it’s still there as she shakily holsters her weapon.

BLUE & WHITE

When Beckett is once again at gunpoint (this time with Castle right behind her) the green tones are gone. Beckett is in white light and there are accents of blue.

HALF LIGHT, SHADE & SHADOWS

“Mr Smith” seems perpetually half in shadow. A rather fitting lighting scheme? He his quite the shadowy figure himself.
Shadows and darkness are also present during Alexis & Castle’s scene at the loft (during which she tells him to “grow up”) and when Beckett gets upset as she realises that everyone is “gone.”

WARDROBE COLOUR (& HAIR
)

It is worth noting Beckett’s first foray into the 12th after being shot. She is in black and dark grey, her hair is tied back. The charcoal grey top that she wears has a high neck and is long (and pretty shapeless!) When Castle comes back to the precinct Beckett is wearing a pink shirt. I think this speaks volumes! Beckett’s hair is mostly straight (except when she goes to get her book signed by Castle *wink*) I’ll be looking for the waves to return this season?

Castle attends his book signing in a casual shirt. It’s very casual. He could be shuffling to the fridge to get another tub of ice cream on a lazy Sunday afternoon? It’s a far cry from the sharp suit and sunglasses that he wore in the very first episode. (At the Derrick Storm book launch…where he signed women’s chests.) Back with Beckett at the precinct…out comes the shirt and jacket!

Keep an eye on what Gates is wearing as well! Red & Black. Black & Red. Black & White.
B&W means by the book. Red signifies danger…

That's all I got for now folks!
Tomorrow I'm gonna take a good look at 4x02... cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION    4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4.01 - "RISE" DISCUSSION
Page 1 of 1